Lolita 52 Challenge: A Lolita Topic a Week!


I saw this posted on F Yea Lolita, and I thought it was super cute! It's a 52-week challenge, where you answer one question a week. I don't want to end up with 52 posts on my blog about this, so I'm gong to condense it to just one post! I might end up forgetting about this sometimes, so I'll do my best to do it once a week, but I may end up just completing it when I'm thinking about it! (Fully completed answers will have questions in bold, otherwise I'm still working on it)
Here we go~~~!

 1. What my own Lolita lifestyle is like

2. Favorite thing to put on my head
This cutie:
It makes me feel so extravagant and pretty! and I love flowers :)

3. My wardrobe turnover

4. My favorite Lolita brand
Hmm, Alice and the Pirates holds a special place in my heart because of my dream dress, but generally overall I think my favorite is Angelic Pretty. I don't really do a lot of their super sweet stuff, but when they come out with beauties like:
it's very hard to argue with them! Just shut up and take my money.

5. Why I wear Lolita?
It's unique and I love it. There are so many types of Lolita that everyone can be themselves while still wearing the style. I love the feeling of dressing up and being different, catching peoples' attention and being complimented about the style.

6. Why don't I wear Lolita more often?
It's exhausting. Often I'm spending a whole day out, and I don't want to wear it for that long. I don't feel like I have that many pieces either, and I don't want to tire them out.

7. 5 keywords that describe my personal Lolita style
classic-sweet, Alice, floral, ivory,

8. How I first found out about Lolita
I began by listening to Japanese music, and was interested in the Visual Kei style. My friend then showed me the Gothic & Lolita Bibles, and that was really the first step into seeing the fashion. From there, another friend introduced me to the EGL LiveJournal community. This is where I really learned the most about the fashion. Linked to the EGL community is the LiveJournal sales community. I began to browse sales posts, and began to purchase items in September 2009. Since then, the sales community is where I buy most of my clothes. I researched and researched and learned more about the fashion, and probably in 2013 I really found what style I like in lolita, and I suppose it's history from there!

9. 3 trends I wish would come back
Chiffon. I love chiffon. It needs to be around all the time.

10. Combining other fashions with Lolita
Honestly, I'm not interested in wearing a lot of fashion other than Lolita. That doesn't mean I don't like admiring! I'm totally hooked on Minori and her shironuri right now, and I'm digging the chiffon nightgowns that cult party kei's got going on...but I don't think I could pull them off! Lolita has rubbed off on my everyday style though. I try to be a bit more fashionable than shorts and a tee; I try to wear a cute top, and interesting bottoms. Sometimes I'll throw on a wig too. Generally though...I'm pretty lazy XD

11. Lolitas I have met in real life
I've met so many girls while I've been a Lolita, and I love all of them! I've been very lucky to meet so many people.
Brand Famous Lolitas I've met are Maki, Asuka, Rinrin, one designer from IW at PMX (I forget who), Lynda, Miho, Yuri, and Tiffa of AP SF, and Joshia, Fabienne, and Mary of BtSSB SF
Locally Famous Lolitas I've met are LovelyLor, Kammie (Mintymix), Mandie (Geeky Glamorous), Charlotte Charms, Miki (owner of Fairytale Boutique), Cimone (wonderfinch), Shelby Cloud, and Michelle (Chubby Bunny).

12. Lolitas I would love to meet
Cadney! I've got her on my facebook, and she is such a sweetie. COME TO LA. seriously.
Lani needs to come too. She's so awesome.
Mana from Baroque. Holy crap guys you don't even know. I'm so enthralled by this girl, she's absolutely fabulous.

13. 3 things I wish I was told when I was a new Lolita
Buy pieces you plan to keep. It'll take time to find your style, but find items you really really want, and spend your money on those.

14. 10 facts about my Lolita wardrobe
  • I obtained Twinkle Carnival (BNWT Ivory JSK + Headbow) through a trade with Star Night Theater (Red OP + Headband + Socks). There's no way I could have gotten this piece otherwise.
  • I was lucky and got a AP Vanilla-chan coat for really cheap.
  • My mom bought me a black Bodyline coat a few years back for only $40 shipped. Still a go-to piece for dark outfits.
  • Somehow I started Lolita with a gingham phase; I purchased a pink gingham skirt and a yellow Bodyline strawberry dress. So glad I got out of that.
  • I've obtained the pieces to Midsummer's one piece at a time: socks, ring, bracelet, necklace, dress. I'm still missing the headbow and bag.
  • I got my Cyperous wig for $20.
  • Somehow I end up getting a lot of my dresses new: Wonder Story from AP SF, Twinkle Carnival in a trade, Glass Bottle of Tears from AP at AX, Rose Dress Up JSK from the comm_sales. It's not intentional though!
  • I go thrift store shopping a lot, and tend find a lot of really awesome blouses that work with Lolita!
  • I won my Fantastic Dolly Cutsew from AP's Grand Opening in SF. It's not something I wear often, but it has such sentimental value that I won't give it up!
  • I've been purchasing pieces I plan to keep in my closet, and am trying to do less impulse buying. Currently I'm pretty happy with my closet, and don't plan to get rid of any of my dresses :)

15. My first meetup
My first real big meet up was the Santa Monica Meet on August 21, 2010. I was definitely learning about the fashion still, but I knew some people, and met a lot of new friends too!
You can check out all the photos I took here if you're interested.

Outfit shot! I took my shoes off because heels.

16. Trends I thought I would never get into, but I now love

17. Trends I thought I loved, but now I'm not too keen on
Definitely have to say the super sweet style. I've purchased sweet items in the past (Star Night Theater, Sweet Jam, French Cafe in pink, Meta's Vintage Cherry) and found I just didn't feel very comfortable in them. I love looking at people wearing the style, and they look super cute, but I just can't pull it off. I've found my niche is a bit more toned down :)

18. How satisfied I am with my current wardrobe
I do love what's in my closet (check it out here) and all the pieces I have are gorgeous! The problem is, I feel that I have way too few main pieces. I'm afraid of becoming bored with the pieces I have, so I'd like to get more items so I can rotate them. I'd really like to do a big taobao order; there are a lot of dresses from Dear Celine, Infanta, and a few other brands that I'd love to put in my wardrobe!

19. Plan for a trip! A week's worth of Lolita outfits I can fit in a small suitcase

20. How I accessorize

21. What influences my Lolita style

22. What's in my makeup bag

23. Best places to wear Lolita
I'll admit I haven't had the opportunity to wear lolita too often recently, but I think the best places to wear it is to my job at Fairytale Boutique, and Disneyland! Fairytale sells the style, so it only makes sense to wear it, but I have to keep it simple since I am still working ;) At Disneyland, I'm often greeted with "oh you look so cute!" and such compliments, and I find people are really positive about it!

24. How I get out of a wardrobe slump
Tumblr, honestly! I'm on there most days, but when I'm feeling uninspired, I'll go check out new photos, coords, and cute things, and it has a tendency to inspire me to go play in my closet and try something new! Or go thrift shopping ;P

25. Purses that I love

26. Bloomers or no bloomers?
Bloomers definitely! Even if I'm wearing a simple outfit, I like to have a pair of bloomers on~
The benefits I've found about bloomers are 1. Modesty; no one can see up your skirt! I worry that people will see, and while wearing lolita, I don't like that. 2. Your butt doesn't stick to chairs. 3. Your pettis don't get caught between your legs while walking. 4. They keep you warm. 5. they add an extra layer in case you chose dark underwear with a light colored outfit.

27. Lolitafying things in my everyday life

28. How long it took me to build a complete wardrobe
I've been buying Lolita since Sept 2009, and I still don't believe I have a full wardrobe. I love all my pieces, but I definitely want more! There's still holes in my closet too...mainly with shoes, purses, and hair accessory options.

29. Impulse buys that were totally worth it
 I went to Baby SF, and Purchased a cutsew, and last minute I picked up this pretty little headbow. Best decision ever! I love this thing and it matches with a lot of my outfits!

30. My best deal
I'd have to say that would have to be my BtSSB Thumbelina skirt! I got this for a steal at $72! I really love Thumbelina's story, and I'm so happy I was able to get this skirt. It's definitely one of those pieces I won't be letting go of!


31. Something that I made
I love thrift store shopping, and I happened upon some classic Winnie the Pooh fabric. I knew I had to make something out of it, so I made myself a skirt! I wore it to Disneyland once and everyone loved it :)


32. Wardrobe blunders! Things I bought that I ended up regretting!
Since I started wearing lolita about 3 years ago, it wasn't until about this year that I realized what style suited me best, and that's classic-sweet. I've purchased quite a few different items that I got rid of because they just weren't me! I'm happy I've found my style, because it allows me to purchase smarter, and buy items I know I'll be keeping.
Here's a few things I've gotten rid of:

33. What I thought when I got my first real piece of Lolita
"Holy shit this was expensive...but so worth it!" My first brand piece was AP's Sweet Jam skirt in yellow, ran me $140 shipped from mbok. I really loved that skirt, but then I realized it didn't quite suit me, so I traded it for something else :)

34. Nails to match my favorite looks
Every once in a while I'll go all out and do acrylic nails. The first pic was just because I wanted to try out acrylics, and of course I fell in love! The second pic was for a trip to Vegas, and the third was for AP SF's 2 year anniversary party. If I had the money for it, I think I'd have acrylics much more often!


35. Something that's not my style, but I love anyways
Bright colors. I generally can't pull them off myself, but I find I like how they look on other people.
Some examples:


36. Favorite hair style
wigs.

37. Most versatile Lolita item I own

38. 5 inspirational fictional characters

39. Fondest meetup memory

40. The ways in which I fit the cliche
  • I like tea! Robert and I are often going to Teavana to pick up loose-leaf tea in lots of yummy flavors!
  • I act more ladylike in public when wearing lolita. (when I'm with lolita friends though, I act like myself haha)
  • I feel weird without my bloomers XD

41. The ways in which I do not fit the cliche
  • I cuss like a sailor! A friend of mine described it in that I do it in a cute way, and it suits me haha~
  • I've yelled at a guy who was being an ass to a lolita friend while wearing full sweet.

42. How strangers react to my clothes, and how I react to their reactions.
Thankfully many people react positively to my outfits, but of course there's the typical negative comments too.

On the positive side, I do like being complimented as Alice, and I often receive these comments while wearing my sax Glass Bottle of Tears or pink Wonder Story, so Alice is quite correct! But otherwise I'll just tell people that's how I dress, and that it's from Japan.
On the really positive side, I'll get a "I like your lolita/[insert brand] dress!" That gets me all happy because someone knows the style! I sometimes stop and chat with them for a minute ^^

On the negative side..
To "Bo Peep" I usually respond "No sheep, no Shepard's cane, not Bo Peep."
To "Lady Gaga" I haven't figured out what to say, but there was one guy I wanted to respond by calling him "Kevin Federline".
I don't care for "Strawberry Shortcake" either, but usually disperse that one by saying "no, it's a fashion from Japan".
I've heard a friend of mine respond to "What are you wearing!?" by saying "Clothes!!" I thought it was funny. 

43. Something that was a gift
For Dolly House Runway I modeled for Baby, the Stars Shine Bright. I was given a Rose Boudoir Ring and an Alice's Letter Pad. It was really sweet of them to give us gifts!

44. Parasols: Vital or frivolous?

45. The item in my wardrobe that was the hardest to get
Hah! That'd be my Alice and the Pirates'  A Midsummer Night's Dream JSK II (Photo on #47). I was extremely lucky my friend was on the comm_sales just when it was posted. I debated for a few minutes before taking the plunge. I was nervous purchasing such a high ticket item, but I knew it needed to happen. I said I'd purchase it in full right then and there, and the seller said I was very lucky because within 15 minutes there were 4 girls behind me! I'd been looking for this dress since it came out in 2010, but every time I saw it I was too late, and I just didn't have the money for it. This time around I had a credit card with a 0% APR so I'd be able to pay it off bit by bit. I'm really happy I was able to put this dream piece in my closet!

46. My "signature" outfit

47. My favorite Lolita print
Without a doubt, that's Alice and the Pirates'  A Midsummer Night's Dream. I saw this print and knew instantly it was my dream dress. I finally own it, and I couldn't be happier!

48. What's in my closet, but I haven't worn yet!

49. Predict the next Lolita trend!

50. How Lolita has changed me

51. 5 pieces that every Lolita wardrobe should have, regardless of style
  • Petticoats! In my opinion, (for most styles) to correctly wear lolita, you need to fill out the bell shape or a-line silhouette.
  • A main piece in your closet that you love.

52. 5 movies for Lolitas
The ones I can think of are the typical ones:
Kamikaze girls, Mister Rococo, Gothic Lolita Psycho...and Totoro? I like Totoro. Spirited Away too.

1 comments:

Billy B

Hi thanks for posting thiss

Post a Comment